[texbirds] Yard birding and early fall migration

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 16:32:23 -0500

This morning I had my first real migrants of the fall with several
Louisiana waterthrushes calling and feeding very early but they left within
an hour. I checked off and on for some time with no birds calling or
singing as they moved west along the bayou in their move south. A little
late for my first birds.
Yesterday morning I had the first big flight of American robins heading
west for the river valleys like the Colorado where they will feed on the
berries growing on the trees there. Another regular fall feeding movement
rather than a migration to go south.

I can still hear the young red-tailed hawks begging but they are way to the
west near Kincaid school rather than feeding being fed near the nest as in
past years.

I have been hearing and even seen a crow for about a week. Its an adult and
has no company even though it caws a lot during the day. It wanders over a
wide area but stays too close to the bayou to survive the late summer.

The tufted titmice showed up last week with begging youngsters which is a
very late brood for them. Empty Carolina wren territories have been filled
but the birds are nesting out in the wild rather than in the buildings
where they lived for so many years prior to last year when all the nests
failed.

Still waiting for the first black and white warbler to go by.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston