[texbirds] Winter Wren in Edinburg, Hidalgo Co.

  • From: Javier Gonzalez <javsterkayak7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 22:05:20 -0600

Hello Texbirders,
During my lunch break this past Saturday (1/25) i visited Hillcrest
Memorial Park (cemetery) off of Richardson Rd. just east of Expressway 281
for some quick 45min birding. I've stopped by a couple of times this past
month and i mostly bird the northeastern corner of the park where there's a
nice wooded area with a grassy understory that has been good for sparrows
and other birds. This time i crossed over some old railroad tracks that are
kind of hidden by the grass and that brought me to a grassy trail that
walking east leads to a field. I walked towards the field and right before
the woods broke into the field i saw some activity in the understory just
to the left of me. I stopped and phished for a bit and out came a House
Wren and then what I'm pretty sure was a Winter Wren popped up right beside
itl!! The bird was slightly smaller than the House Wren and very dark brown
with a short stubby tail. I don't own a camera so i couldn't take any
photos, but i was able to get good comparison views as i saw the two Wrens
side by side.
      John Brush and I tried for it this Sunday morning but we dipped on
it. We thought we heard it calling a couple of really brief instances from
inside a bush, but whatever was calling didn't show itself and then went
silent. Winter Wren is a rare bird here in Hidalgo County so if you are
around the area i would suggest you give finding it a shot. It would be
great if somebody else got a look at it. I'll probably try for it again
myself soon.

I'm including a link to the bird list we got today and the day i saw the
Wren.

Sunday 1/26  http://ebird.org/ebird/tx/view/checklist?subID=S16517219

Saturday 1/25  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S16505837

Also, there are some houses relatively close to the woods so if you do
decide to go birding out there please be mindful of that.

Best of birding to all,
Javi Gonzalez