[texbirds] Wilson County highlights 12/8 - Long-billed Thrasher, Black-throated Gray Warbler, and Eastern Towhee

  • From: Rich Kostecke <rkost73@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 06:59:48 -0800 (PST)

I spent about 1.75 hrs driving the roads in Wilson County on the afternoon of
12/8 (after the bulk of the day spent in Gonzales Co. - more on that soon).
Highlights were 56 Sandhill Cranes overhead west of Nixon on Hwy 87, and 2 Lark
Sparrows and 4 Pyrrhuloxia on CR465.  I spent more time at the Jackson Nature
Park on Cibolo Creek near Stockdale, also taking a quick peek at the Stockdale
Water Treatment Ponds where they have a birding platform.  The ponds only held
12 Lesser Scaup, 1 Pied-billed Grebe, and 1 American Coot.  I spent 1.5 hrs
walking ~2.3 miles of the trails at the nature park and the birding was quite
productive.  Highlights at the nature park were a Long-billed Thrasher,
Black-throated Gray Warbler, and Eastern Towhee (though my Red-bellied and
Downy woodpeckers were flagged by eBird as being rare for the site/county)

Jackson Nature Park birds:
Great Blue Heron  1
Black Vulture  5
Turkey Vulture  13
Mourning Dove  5
Common Ground-Dove  6
Barred Owl  1 heard only female hoo-aw type calls? (not the typical
who-cooks-for-you)
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  1 heard only
Northern Flicker  1 heard only
Eastern Phoebe  11
White-eyed Vireo  2
Carolina Chickadee  2
Tufted x Black-crested Titmouse (hybrid)  3 (had black-crests, but brown
forehead; in Gonzales Co., they were still hybrids but lacked the black-crests)
House Wren  1
Bewick's Wren  2
Carolina Wren  5
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  19