[texbirds] probable Prairie Falcon Navarro county

  • From: peter barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 08:42:34 -0600

Yesterday, while on a Tyler Audubon field trip, I briefly observed what I
believe was a Prairie Falcon in the fields just north of Kerens, Navarro
County. From Hwy 31, take the first road that goes north, just west of
FM309. Just after you leave town, the bird was perched on a power line in
the fields to the left. I had a brief view of a large falcon with a pale to
medium brown back. I did not have time to look at the head markings before
it flew off to the south. I never got a look at the underwing. The large
fields in this area look like suitable wintering habitat.
Peter Barnes
Tyler