[texbirds] Western Bastrop Co.(Local)

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 12:31:59 -0600

.
BEing the weekend I stuck to the back roads and totally missed the time
change until I missed a radio program and looked at my phone.  Guess that
changes my hours of birding operations :-)   Sandhills and white geese
settled somewhere very near last night as the Sandies were up and off very
low, quite early today and there has just been flock after flock of them
today and it is just noon.  I heard the cranes coming down to my east late
yesterday afternoon/evening.   White geese, ~180 came over so early and low
that one did not even need bins to pick out the Ross's.  There is a slight
up-tick of hawks but barely. Am hearing a flock of Sandies out there right
now....Was too cold for anything but Gladys birding early on. Had most of
the same stuff as yesterday minus some, like the Golden Plover I had hoped
to refind closer in. Some highlights.
Ross's Geese 9
N. Pintails 4
Blk.-crowned Night-Heron 2
Plegadis Ibis 2
Swainson's Hawk 7 on the ground
Am. Coots 2 (believe it or not they can be hard to come by in the Utley
area)
About the same no. of shorebirds as yesterday minus the phalaropes.
Y.B. and Sapsucker species 3
Scissortails 8
Merlin 1
Caracara 21 in same place feeding on Turner's joined by 11 Blk.
Vultures...Must be a lot of chow there widely spread.
Couch's KB  2  River Terrace Rd.
Rough-winged Swallow 1
Am. Pipits 200 about 1/2 the no. of yesterday
Winter Wren 1 my FOF
Spotted Towhee 1
Indigo Bunting 1 in mixed sparrow flock, mostly Zonos and such.
Brewer's Blackbirds 5 same place as yesterday

  Also very early this morning I heard, I am guessing, maybe 5 Hermit
Thrushes.  My place is loaded with them for now.  I wonder if they eat
chili pequins and Turk's Cap apples as there is a bumper crop of those on
the place this fall.  Also the pyracantha berries are turning bright red
and I know they like those and poison ivy berries.  Have not seem my hummer
yet today.

  Got to thinking today, I have not seen a single Starling in well over a
week even in Bastrop proper..???  Will see what the rest of the day brings
and check the critter cams later.

Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/