[texbirds] Warblers at Lake Tawakoni State Park today

  • From: peter barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 20:03:16 -0500

Ross Rickett and I spent the morning at Lake Tawakoni State Park, spurred
on by Richard Kinney's report of numerous warblers and orioles there
yesterday. There were far fewer birds there today, but it was quite
productive. The highlight was a Canada Warbler, along with 2 Blackpolls. We
also had 1 Blackburnian, 2 Chestnut-sided, 1 Magnolia, 2 American
Redstarts, Yellow, Black-and-White and Tennessee Warblers, and a lingering
Yellow-rumped Warbler. There was also a Philadelphia Vireo there.
n the parking lot, we had what appeared to be a melanistic or just
unusually dark Northern Rough-winged Swallow with a normal-looking
Rough-winged. The melanistic bird was brownish-black both above and below.
It was carrying nesting material into the tailpipe of a parked truck, so is
not likely to pass its characteristics on to the next generation. I have
pictures, if anyone is interested in looking at them.

Peter Barnes,
Tyler