[texbirds] Vermillion Flycatcher breeding question??

  • From: Randy Duncan <osufight@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBIRDS <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 11:29:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Yall,
      We had a Male Vermillion seen here in Wilco this week below the
Georgetown dam. I went and took a quick look and saw a potential female in the
same area. (my look was not good/long enough to confirm the species but it
showed Vermillion charateristics and was perched in the open as expected... one
of those "I think that is".... situations) The bird dove and came up with a
grub and landed back on it's original perch... Then it immediately flew about
50 yrds into cover (behind the bathrooms, for you familiar with the area).
      Is it possible that it was going to feed chicks, or are we too early? Do
they usually nest in more cover than they normally perch? I would guess a
breeding pair in Wilco is not a common thing....   any thoughts???  I will
obviously be going to take another look. Work keeps getting in my way!
Randy Duncan,   Leander TX