[texbirds] Varied Thrush - YES

  • From: "gil.eckrich" <gil.eckrich@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 23:15:57 -0600

Eric Runfeldt and I visited Carolyn Ohl's Christmas Mountains Oasis this
morning in hopes of seeing the Varied Thrush. We were NOT disappointed, the
bird stood there and watched as I placed grapes on the toothpicks, and as
soon as I turned to walk away, the bird grabbed one. It revisited the grapes
about every 30 minutes. A few of the photos I took are here: Varied Thrush
2012 12 08 <http://geckrich.com/Varied%20Thrush/index.html> . Here is our
list for the morning:
Northern Harrier  1
White-winged Dove  50
Mourning Dove  3
Anna's Hummingbird  3     one banded, number 09, or 06, clearly seen
Rufous Hummingbird  1
American Kestrel  1
Common Raven  2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
Varied Thrush  1     http://geckrich.com/Varied%20Thrush/index.html
Curve-billed Thrasher  2
Orange-crowned Warbler  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  1
Green-tailed Towhee  1
Chipping Sparrow  2
Clay-colored Sparrow  3
Brewer's Sparrow  2
Field Sparrow  1
Black-throated Sparrow  1
Lark Bunting  70
White-crowned Sparrow  5
Pyrrhuloxia  4
House Finch  3
Pine Siskin  5
Eric and I stayed at the Terlingua Ranch Lodge the night before,  and birded
in the immediate vicinity of our cabin late afternoon of the 7th.  In less
than 45 minutes we obsrved following birds:
Scaled Quail  7
White-winged Dove  70
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  1
American Kestrel  1