[texbirds] Van Zandt County today

  • From: peter barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 17:35:56 -0500

I spent the morning birding in Van Zandt county, mostly in the southeast
part of the county. It was quite productive and I tallied 81 species,
including 12 species of waterfowl. Two Redheads and 3 Greater Scaup, along
with other diving ducks, were in the pond at the intersection of FM 314 and
FM 858, east of Canton. On the west edge of this pond, viewed from CR 4514,
there were some shorebirds, including a Baird's and 2 Pectoral Sandpipers.
Five species of swallows were flying and perching on wires over the pond.
It was interesting to have Cave Swallows be the most numerous species (17
birds), together with a few Tree, Cliff and Barn Swallows, and Purple
Martins.
An adult Swainson's Hawk was perched on Hwy 47, just south of the
intersection with CR 3504, north of Will's Point. A Red-headed Woodpecker
and 3 Yellow-throated Warblers were on CR 4803, south of FM719, east of
Edom. On FM 279, at the border with Smith County, 3 Yellow-throated Vireos
and a Barred Owl were heard. In the bottomland on CR 3105 south east of
Edgewood, a Louisiana Waterthrush was singing.

Peter Barnes
Tyler