[texbirds] Update - Granger Mountain Plovers- 1/6

  • From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds Posting Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 18:15:00 -0600

TexBirders,

I returned to the Granger area to search for some of the uncommon raptors
reported on the CBC on Saturday—without success.  I had a probable Krider’s
Red-tail at great distance in the San Gabriel Unit accessed from CR 378.

However, the large group of Mountain Plovers west of the lake was still in
evidence, although they were exceedingly far from any public road this
afternoon.  The flock is in a recently plowed field on the east side of CR 347
and south of CR 378.  On Saturday, the flock was in the near part of the field
at approx. 30.668N,-97.416W.  This afternoon, I saw a few birds much further
out in the field to the east, closer to about -97.412W, or as much as 0.5 mi
east of CR 347.  Shimmer off the field was a problem getting an accurate count
of birds but at 4 p.m., I could distinguish at least 25 birds.  (The high count
on Saturday was around 45 birds.)  A harrier was on the ground closer to CR 347
and may have been a reason the plovers remained so far from the road.

This location may be difficult to view when looking into the early morning sun.
 The plovers might be visible from a corner of CR 378 at 30.673N, -97.410W but
they’ll still be quite distant.

Raptor density in the grasslands of the management units all around Granger
Lake remains very high; I don’t doubt that many of the uncommon raptors remain
in the area.  It is still hunting season, even though deer hunters are
finished.  a Hunter Orange vest is essential if you enter any unit, and in
theory you should have the TPWD Annual Public Lands hunting permit.

Chuck Sexton
Austin, TXEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at