[texbirds] Tyler State Park 12-15-12

  • From: "Boyd Sanders" <Boyd.Sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 13:38:40 -0600

Howdy All!

=20

Today's bird walks were a lot of fun.  We mostly saw the typical winter
visitors, but they were busy and there were a lot of them.  Notables of
the day were Forster's Tern (a first for me at the park), Winter Wren,
both Kinglets, all three nuthatches, and both scaup.  What made the
walks fun was the enthusiasm of the fledgling birders that went with me.

=20

Here is a checklist from the first bird tour:

=20

 Tyler SP (PPW-E 065), Smith, US-TX

Dec 15, 2012 8:00 AM - 10:30 AM

Protocol: Traveling

3.0 mile(s)

46 species

=20

Mallard  8

Greater Scaup  1

Lesser Scaup  2

Ruddy Duck  20

Pied-billed Grebe  12

Great Egret  1

Black Vulture  6

Turkey Vulture  3

American Coot  6

Mourning Dove  5

Belted Kingfisher  1

Red-bellied Woodpecker  3

Downy Woodpecker  3

Hairy Woodpecker  1

Northern Flicker  1

Pileated Woodpecker  2

Eastern Phoebe  1

Blue Jay  3

American Crow  7

Carolina Chickadee  8

Tufted Titmouse  5

Red-breasted Nuthatch  3

White-breasted Nuthatch  2

Brown-headed Nuthatch  4

Brown Creeper  2

House Wren  1

Carolina Wren  2

Golden-crowned Kinglet  3

Ruby-crowned Kinglet  2

Eastern Bluebird  1

American Robin  75

Brown Thrasher  2

Cedar Waxwing  20

Pine Warbler  3

Yellow-rumped Warbler  10

Eastern Towhee  3

Chipping Sparrow  10

Field Sparrow  2

Fox Sparrow  2

Song Sparrow  3

White-throated Sparrow  100

Dark-eyed Junco  50

Northern Cardinal  8

Red-winged Blackbird  4

Pine Siskin  3

American Goldfinch  10

=20

Good Birding,=20

=20

Boyd A. Sanders BBA, CIG

Interpreter/Exhibit Tech

=20

Tyler State Park

789 Park Rd. 16

Tyler, TX 75706

=20

(903)597-5338

boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>=20

=20

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

(When All Else Fails, Play Dead- Red Green)

=20

=20

Learn how you can help Texas State Parks: <http://bit.ly/sVdilb
<http://bit.ly/sVdilb> >