[texbirds] Surfside Levees - 63 Hooded Mergansers, Common Goldeneye

  • From: John Tharp <jlt290@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 15:21:57 -0600

While out doing some scouting for tomorrow's Freeport CBC with Paul Sellin
this morning we came across my personal high number for Hooded Mergansers
in the area. A total of 63 were observed from the Surfside Levees. Most
were in one large group of about 42 birds at their favorite pond. Also of
note were at least a few hundred other ducks of several species in the area
the best of which was a female Common Goldeneye. Seems like the drought is
really concentrating the waterfowl to available fresh water areas.
Good Birding,

John Tharp
Houston, TX