[texbirds] Two Tanagers at Quinta Mazatlan 2/19

  • From: John Brush <jsbrush10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 11:27:27 -0600

Hello all,
Had a large group show up for the bird walk today. Just after we stepped
outside the doors we were greeted by a Western Tanager. I'm pretty sure
there are two of the Western Tanagers in the park, because one looked more
like a winter plumage male (with the black wings), while the other more of
a dull brown-gray, like a female. We were treated to seeing both the
Western and Summer Tanagers in the same field of view in the amphitheater -
good comparison!

The regulars also continue: Clay-colored Thrush, Long-billed Thrasher,
Tropical Kingbird, and Olive Sparrow are all seen with relative ease. We
also had a report of Red-crowned Parrots over the weekend, so keep your
eyes open for them and Green Parakeets, as they may start checking the
palms for nest sites pretty soon. Come out and bird! Full list below.

40 species

 Plain Chachalaca  17
Turkey Vulture  1
 Red-tailed Hawk  1
Rock Pigeon  1
White-winged Dove  18
Inca Dove  6
Eastern Screech-Owl  1
Ruby-throated/Black-chinned Hummingbird  1
Buff-bellied Hummingbird  1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker  5
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  2