[texbirds] Trinity River birding.

  • From: David Bryant <highlandbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 13:35:28 -0700 (PDT)

I spent a few hours this morning mostly driving along the east and west sides
of the Trinity below I10.
Wallisville rookery had Anhinga and Egret nests with lots of baby birds.

At the Mayes tract, there were Fulvous Whistling ducks and numerous Morehens
with chicks.

We saw one strange heron that we decided might be a young Great Blue. It had a
dark body with a white neck and head. It had the familiar dark streak along the
top of the head. It was also on the small side for a Great Blue.

Other birds seen during the morning:

Little Blue Heron
Cattle Egret
Snowey Egret
White Ibis
Roseate Spoonbill
Green Heron
Double_crested Comerant
Stilt
Black_bellied Whistling Duck
Mottled Duck
Red_winged Blackbird
All the grackles
Eastern Kingbird
Dicksissel
Brown_headed Cowbird
Coot
Mourning Dove
White Pelican
Swallows

In addition to lots of birds, we spotted an otter and a very large Alligator.

David Bryant

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android