[texbirds] A couple of Lubbock highlights

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 13:16:02 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
On Monday evening, 1 Snowy Egret flying to the east of my yard (from Maxey Park
southward), 1 Cattle Egret flying to the west of my yard (from flooded sports
fields southward), and 1 Black-chinned Hummingbird at my lantana.

On Tuesday morning, 2 very late Chipping Sparrows bathing in a puddle on the
TTU HSC Campus.

This morning, 1 adult Harris's Hawk flying over the fields just west of the TTU
HSC Campus and 1 Great Egret perched atop, amazingly, a large mesquite just
south of the TTU Sewage Ponds.  I always love seeing a wader on a ludicrously
inadequate perch - would make a great inspirational poster.

I am participating in the June Birding Challenge on Facebook and this gets me
up to 75 species in Lubbock County so far this June.  I think that a couple of
folk (Cameron Carver and Steve Collins) are actually over 100 for the county
and period ... but they have both been out birding a lot more:)

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock