[texbirds] Thoughts. And University of Dallas birding - Fox Sparrow. Also belated White Rock parula

  • From: Christian Walker <christian.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 16:16:56 -0600

Hey,
First off, I had a female Northern Parula, a young Herring Gull, and a Marsh
Wren in weird habitat at White Rock Lake on the 23rd of October.  Sorry for the
belated post.  Really surprised about the parula.  Great looks.

Ok.  I went birding yesterday with Julia and was pleasantly surprised to run
into a flock that contained some good birds, including a latish Nashville
Warbler, a very bright Pine Warbler, a Brown Creeper, and a Tufted Titmouse.  I
was very surprised to see the titmouse - they have not been in the area for the
past four years now.  I had seen a pair occasionally the fall of my freshman
year, 2010, but never since.  There was also larger numbers of winter
residents, including three Spotted Towhees and a singing Fox Sparrow.
oh and I had a woodcock a few weeks ago.

The number and diversity of birds I saw yesterday was very atypical for my
patch here at UD.  Over the past four years I've noticed a gradual decrease in
biodiversity, especially in the richness of the local resident birds.  I
usually only find a few of the resident birds, and have to cover a bit of
ground to find anything.  Migrants are hard to come by, and even the ubiquitous
flocks of White-throated Sparrows are hard to find.
The best adjective to describe an hour's birding here is boring.

However it was not always so.  My freshman year here was unreal compared with
what I see now.  I recall walking into the woods in a fall rainstorm, standing
in a flock of hundreds of migrants, including Warbling Vireos, Summer Tanagers,
and Tennessee Warblers, with Solitary Sandpipers flying overhead and flocks of
nashville Warblers and Baltimore Orioles everywhere; and it wasn't just that
one day.  Both in the spring and fall I would consistently find good numbers of
regular migrants, bolstered by numerous resident birds.  There was a cold front
day that came through when I had 2 Bald Eagles, 12 Ospreys, and hundreds of
other raptors; the hordes of White-throated Sparrow flocks in the winter were
full of Fox and Harris's Sparrows as well, and I recall one morning when I
found at least 12 Winter Wrens.  Spring was just as good with numerous warblers
and migrants.  Highlights included Bell's Vireo and a Cassin's Sparrow.

After that it was pretty much downhill (aside from a Black-throated Gray
Warbler fall of sophomore year).  I never found the flocks of migrants I had
seen before, and resident birds experienced a pretty sharp decline. Whereas
before I would regularly run into 2 or 3 flocks of resident birds, now I'm
lucky to run into one.  I imagine the decline may be due to drought and high
heat in the summer, as well as possible the further degeneration of the habitat
out here due to privet and tallow trees, but this past birding trip has gotten
me hoping maybe all this rain we've been getting could be helping the general
birdiness of the place.  Or at least stopped it from getting worse.  In any
case, things could be looking up here at UD - the return of the Tufted Titmouse
especially makes me hopeful.

Good birding,

Christian Walker
University of Dallas