[texbirds] The July update for the Kostecke:Hewetson competition

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 19:19:58 -0500

Greetings All:
As some of you know my good friend Rich Kostecke is pitting his
fifteen-county region (centered - sort of - in Austin) against my
fifteen-county region (centered - sort of - in Lubbock).  Spring was not
particularly good to either of us (the weather was great for migrants but
poor for migrant watchers)  and summer has been a bit of a bother as well.

At the end of June Rich was up 261 to 256 - a lot closer than either of us
expected but a good spring would have worked far more to his benefit than
mine.

During July he added Common Ground Dove, Hooded Warbler, Prothonotary
Warbler, Black Tern, Fulvous Whistling Duck, and Wood Stork to his list -
bringing his end of July total to 267.

During July I added White-tailed Kite, Upland Sandpiper, Rufous
Hummingbird, Broad-tailed Hummingbird, and Least Bittern to my list -
bringing my end of July total to 261.

Who knows what will happen as fall progresses.  All I know is that I have
added only three species during the first half of August (Red-necked
Phalarope, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, and Virginia Rail) and I am willing
to bet that Rich is going to find a way to put the pedal to the metal and
squash me yet:)

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock