[texbirds] The Canyon Lakes of Lubbock - June Update

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 10:23:32 -0500

Greeting All:
My second game for the year (competing only against my self-set goals) is
to see how many species of butterfly, amphibian, reptile, bird, and mammal
I can find and photograph along Lubbock's Canyon Lakes - running from the
west loop to the east loop.

My goals for the year - 50 species of butterfly, 5 species of amphibian, 10
species of reptile, 200 species of bird, and 10 species of mammal - with
90%, overall, documented via photography.

June saw very little in the way of progress for two reasons: June is,
typically, the slowest month of the year, especially for butterflies and
birds, the two most speciose groups; I was frantically trying to complete
six Breeding Bird Surveys which left time for only one visit to the lakes
during the month.

All in all, I picked up 14 species of butterfly, 1 species of amphibian, 3
species of reptile, 44 species of bird, and 4 species of mammal bringing my
totals for the year up to 36 species of butterfly (72%), 1 species of
amphibian (20%), 10 species of reptile (100%), 126 species of bird (63%%),
and 9 species of mammal (90%) for 2015. Of these critters, 136 species
have been photographed (75%) so far this year. It is beginning to look
like it will be difficult to reach several of my goals, particularly the
idea of getting five species of amphibian (only one species of frog -
despite excellent conditions at the oxbow which used to host at least eight
species of anuran) and the idea of getting 90% of the species photographed.

July should pick up a bit assuming a surge in shorebirds of some sort and
more opportunities to visit the sites.

The June list with new species for the year denoted with an * and newly
photographed species for the year denoted with a (y):

Sachem
Cabbage White(y)
Checkered White
Southern Dogface