[texbirds] TX-4 Cameron Co.: huge Reddish Egret jamboree + shorebird show

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 11:51:49 -0600

Late yesterday (01/20/13) afternoon we birded Boca Chica Blvd. (TX-4), and
this report focuses on our observations along this road where it presently
is bordered by considerable standing water on the north side of the road
some distance west of the Kopernik Shores area.

We experienced something that for us was a great surprise, namely an
aggregation of both dark (est. 70%) and white (30%) Reddish Egrets numbering
at least 200 total, and we think that this probably was a very conservative
estimate because we could estimate only by what we could see, through our
scope, at a very substantial distance, thereby likely missing many birds
back behind what we could see at the front of the aggregation, given our
very low angle of observation. It was quite a show, with birds spread widely
and, apparently, deeply, in a long line north of the road. The dark and the
white morphs were nicely intermixed, and it was interesting to compare these
two morphs side by side. It was not easy to discern what they were doing,
given the size of the aggregation and their closely packed appearance at
that distance, but we could see some evidence of feeding activity as some
birds were doing the typical Reddish Egret style of feeding, jumping into
the air with wings uplifted. It was special fun to see the bright white
morphs leaping up like this amongst the majority dark morphs. We initially
observed this captivating show on our eastbound trip, which ventured to the
Gulf shore, but not onto it, for a quick study of bird life there--virtually
none--and then, on our return, stopped to see the Reddish Egret jamboree
once again. If anything, it had increased in numbers, and we were dazzled at
seeing many times more of this species than we had ever before seen in any
one area. The scenario's intrinsic beauty was richly enhanced when the sun
got relatively low on the horizon and the clear light brought to life the
rich mahogany color of the lush head/neck plumage on the dark morphs. The
white morphs themselves stood out in sharp contrast to the surrounding dark
morphs. This was a breathtaking surprise and one not soon to be forgotten.
These handsome birds had not departed when we did, and we were reluctant to
leave.

Driving home yesterday evening I remembered--and I retrieved this
morning--John Arvin's TEXBIRDS posting of 08/18/2011 that described, on the
south side of TX-4 and due south of Kopernik Shores, an estimated 700-800
Reddish Egrets consisting of both morphs and "at least 25%" being the white
morph. (We estimated 30% independently yesterday before reviewing Arvin's
report in August 2011.) Those wishing to check the archives for Arvin's
posting cited above will be treated to some historical perspective on huge
Reddish Egret aggregations in this same general area. In the instances
mentioned by Arvin, though, the birds were in the large "shallow lagoon" on
the south side of the road. Presently, though, water in that area has been
drastically reduced by drought, but presently there is considerably more
water where we found the Reddish Egrets yesterday on the north side of the
road some distance west of Kopernik Shores, which is a tiny unsuccessful
development a short distance west of the Gulf shoreline.

In the same general area we also found huge numbers of shorebirds, but
relatively few species. Here is the breakdown: BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER (1),
SNOWY PLOVER (20, at least), WILLET (2), LONG-BILLED CURLEW (1), SANDERLING
(est. 300, see below), LEAST SANDPIPER (a few, widely interspersed in dryer
areas), and DUNLIN (est. 600). The Sanderlings and Dunlin were often, though
not always, in the same general areas, the Sanderlings often swiftly dashing
across the substrate and making quick thrusts into it, the Dunlins more
sedate, moving more slowly and for shorter distances, sometimes in deeper
water.

We do not know, but strongly, suspect, that paucity of suitable water and
foodstuffs, perhaps related to drought, had brought these several
shorebird/wader species together at the same place. Conditions responsible
for this exhilarating show along TX-4 may persist for a while, so those
wishing to have a chance to see it may wish to take notice. We would point
out, though, that there can be considerable high-speed traffic on this
seemingly remote stretch of road, and it is advisable to find a place for
observation that one safely can pull off this somewhat narrow two-line road.
We pulled our vehicle safely off the traffic lanes. One must also take care
not to pull off into muddy areas, which, in this substrate, sometimes can
look surprisingly dry but still be very troublesome, especially after rain
in roadside areas where water tends to pool. A good scope will be very
helpful here, but some of the birds may be close enough for study with
binoculars. Many others are far too distant, and a scope will be needed.
Even in somewhat windy conditions, as were present late yesterday, the
shorebird flocks tend often to take to the air, and a flock "lost"
temporarily may be visible soon with persistent scanning, and perhaps they
will have moved in closer.

PLEASE NOTE: There is a border patrol station along TX-4, prior to any
exits, that checks as one heads west on TX-4 back into Brownville.  (No
check is made when one heads east through that point.) One should have at
hand personal credentials satisfactory for documentation and passage at such
a check station.

We birded other sites in Cameron County yesterday, but will not discuss them
here except to say that raptors are around in high numbers and goodly
numbers of species at present in South Texas. Present in delightful numbers
yesterday and seen in various locales were White-tailed Kites, for us, at
least, always a joy to see, whether perched or in flight. Yesterday, a very
short distance west of Cameron Co. in Hidalgo Co. (just west of El Zacatal
on US-281 on the utility lines), we observed courtship and mating by a pair
of this species.

So despite the recent cold, damp weather and continued drought, bird life
goes on, and bright days, with some clouds (to obviate convective
distortion/heat waves) are great times to enjoy it.

Best wishes to all for rewarding winter birding,

Rex and Birgit Stanford
McAllen, TX