[texbirds] TOS El Paso

  • From: Dennis Shepler <dawgler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 08:34:06 -0600

Howdy Texbirders,
I want to thank all of those involved in organizing and conducting the
presentations and field trips at the winter meeting of the Texas
Ornithological Society, in El Paso.  From my vantage point, the meeting ran
very smoothly.  The locals made us welcome and had "tied down" some great
birds for participants to observe.  The evening presentations were
outstanding.  The first evening Kelly Bryan discussed his ongoing and
extensive work banding hummers in the TransPecos.  The invaluable
information and detailed/beautiful photos were outstanding.  In addition,
we were informed of the activities of the non-profit West Texas Avian
Research, Inc. (www.westtexasavianresearch.org).  On Saturday evening,
Michael Hilchey presented a lively presentation of his banding efforts of
Rosy-Finches, in the Sandia Mountains adjacent to Albuquerque, New Mexico.
His slides were captivating and very informative as he delineated key
points as to the identification of the three species of Rosy-Finches.  This
was much appreciated information for me because two days later, armed with
valuable ID info, I was able to observe all three species in that portion
of extreme northwest Texas often referred to as New Mexico.
The field trips produced many new year birds and county birds for an
inveterate lister as I.  Many of our birding friends had some great west
Texas lifers.  The leaders of the field trips made the effort for all
members of their party to "get on" all of the birds seen.  And. with so
many outstanding birders in each group, one was almost guaranteed views of
species located on the trips.
For all of those who follow these posts (many of you skulking in the
background or reading the archives) and are not members, I strongly
encourage you to join the Texas Ornithological Society (texasbirds.org.)
Dennis
West Houston
Harris County
--