[texbirds] Swan (probably Tundra) in Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 15:10:53 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All:
I visited Buddy Holly Park (the uppermost of the active canyon lakes in
Lubbock) for the fourth time since Ross Rickett located a Tundra Swan a few
days ago.  The first good bird of the visit was a Merlin perched in the woodlot
across the street from the boat launch.  Amidst the gazillion Cackling and
Canada Geese I was able to pick out 1 Greater White-fronted Goose and 2 Snow
Geese.  That was all the good stuff from my first pass, casually driving
downstream.

I then turned around and drove back upstream, taking more time to stop and
smell the mergansers.  That's right: all three mergansers with 1 female
Red-breasted Merganser just above the spillway, 3 female and 1 male Common
Mergansers near the boat launch, and 2 Hooded Mergansers near the 'waterfall'
near the frontage road.  Also noted on this pass: 1 male Wood Duck, 23
Redheads, and 2 female Common Goldeneyes.

I was very happy to see the Red-breasted Merganser - as I have missed it six
times this year and was beginning to feel a bit cursed!

I gave up on the swan, turned around, and headed back downstream - towards
University Avenue and home.  While stopped at Canyon Lakes Drive and University
Avenue, waiting to make my turn onto University, I noticed a huge white bird
tucked in with some Cackling Geese along the canalized portion of the lake just
above University - The Swan!   I reversed into a proper parking spot just in
time to observe a large white dog flush every d--n bird on the shore and
watched the swan fly downstream, with about 75 Cackling Geese and far more
American Coots than I had realized were present, towards the open waters of
Lake Two.  The coloration of this bird was more consistent with the photographs
taken by Steve Collins (very white with just a bit of brownish shading along
the back of the neck and into the head)  and, though I did not get good,
detailed looks at the head, my impression was of a relatively small swan with a
relatively thick neck.  From my days in
 the northwest, I recall Trumpeter Swans as seeming massive with very long and
seemingly slender necks - this is not an absolute sizing, more of
disproportionately stocky vs. disproportionately slender sort of thing. This
all leads me to lean towards Tundra Swan for this bird - though I will bow to
some of the experts who are reviewing the photographs if they present a strong
defense for Trumpeter Swan.

I chased the bird down to Lake Two but it settled in on the far shore - head
tucked - and I gleaned no additional information.

I did not see the legs well enough to determine whether or not the bird was
banded in any way.  I suspect some of the photographs out there might shed some
light on this aspect of things.

Hopefully all of these birds stick around for the Lubbock County CBC - tomorrow.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock