[texbirds] Re: Swallow-tailed Kite, wood stork

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Clayton Leopold <passerinaciris12@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 12:09:43 -0500

You need to get to Crosby Texas. If you go by US 90 exit at the 2100/
Crosby Lynchburg road intersection and go north. Go over the new overpass
over the old part of town and take an immediate exit on Diamondhead going
west. Go North (right) on Port O Call at the light and continue north until
you cross the canal.
Go west on Aweigh. This residential street wanders westish, Aweigh turns
northish on Wherry and then back to Port O Call on Tarpaulin. This is kite
country for both swallow-tailed and Mississippi kites. There do not seem to
be as many nesting this year as last year. They feed over the streets and
drainage between tarpaulin and aweigh. When not feeding they sit in the top
of dead trees. There is a nice park on Port O call between the two streets
with water and restrooms. A hiking trail goes west and can give good views
of the kites as they feed. You can park on wherry and have a great look
east and west for kites feeding and perching.

You can wander north as there are birds up there too. Or go back south a
bit on port o call, west on Spinaker and north toward Aweigh on Bluefin for
a look at the backyards of Aweigh and dead trees that the kites use.

Use google maps and make a large loop. Cave swallows, lots of waterbirds,
red-headed woodpeckers etc around. Many foot trails and hiking paths.

Note that the kites can sit a good bit out of sight when full andor on the
nest. Mornings between 9 and 11 seem to be best for activity. The kites can
be about earlier but do a lot of preening but they also do intense pair
bonding when the male brings food if you happen to find the perch tree
where the female is calling for food.

Depending on the status of the nests, this can be the nearest place for
kites until say mid-July. Last year they left the area much earlier than
prior years as did most other kite places I searched. They go to
riverbottom feeding areas to fatten up etc prior to migrating as early as
mid-July.

If you are out west of town, you might look at Stephan F Austin State park
as there is a pair somewhere along the river that shows up in the northwest
corner of the picnic grounds by late July.

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 11:28 AM, Clayton Leopold <
passerinaciris12@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can anyone help me on a good place to find my lifer Swallow-tailed Kite and
> Wood stork? I missed them both last year during migration and this year as
> well! I'm around the Houston area but I'm willing to drive, anything to see
> these cool birds.
>

> --
> Clayton & Linsey Leopold
> Texas City