[texbirds] Swallow-tailed Kite nest

  • From: Greg Page <gregpage1465@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 23:35:11 -0700

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please go to //www.freelists.org/list/texbirds and subscribe to the new
server. Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 6-2-12 I found a Swallow-tailed Kite nest in the Newport area (near
Crosby) in Harris County. This is the first nest found in Harris County since
at least 1914. There was 1 large juvenile in the nest and another juvenile
flying around. I returned on 6-4-12 with Teri Zambon and she found another nest
about 50 feet away from the first nest. This nest had 2 small juveniles in it.
Here is a photo of a juvenile and an adult in the 2nd nest. The juvenile was
still small here but it only took a few days before it was much bigger.
PHOTO   http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregpage/7583460630/in/photostream

The main food source was baby birds taken from nests. Here is a photo of an
adult eating part of a baby bird while in flight and then taking the rest of
the bird to feed its young.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregpage/7583444910/in/photostream

June 7th was the last time I saw a juvenile in the first nest. Here is an adult
giving a large chunk of meat to its juvenile.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregpage/7583415268/in/photostream

On 6-12-12 I returned with my video camera and was able to get some good video
of the 2nd nest. I like the videos because you can hear the sounds that the
Kites make. They are very vocal around their nests.
Video #1  http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregpage/7583585796/in/photostream

Video #2  http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregpage/7583618542/in/photostream

June 17th was the last day I saw juveniles in the 2nd nest. They were flapping
their wings for long periods of time.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregpage/7583394934/in/photostream

Here is a video on 6-17-12. The adult brought a bird to the nest and the
juvenile swallowed it whole.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregpage/7583529790/in/photostream

When I returned on 6-21-12 nest 2 was empty and the juveniles were flying. On
6-27-12 I saw 12 Kites in the air at one time so there could have been more
than 2 nests in the area. On July 4th I did not see any adults but there were
still 3 juveniles flying around the area. I have returned a couple of times
since then and have not seen any Kites. I think they have left the area. I am
looking forward to next year when they r
TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds
eturn.

Greg Page
Houston