[texbirds] Trans-Pecos Highlights

  • From: Cameron Carver <c.o.carver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 20:35:04 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Greetings,

I've been in the Trans-Pecos since early Thursday morning for the Big Bend
Birding festival and then for personal fun. I will let the event coordinators
comment on the event, but I think everyone had a wonderful time.

Thursday morning I started at L.E. Wood in the Davis Mountains. Western
Screech-Owls were calling when I arrived. Not much else going on, but Gray
Flycatchers, 1 Cordilleran and 1 possible Least were hanging out.

Sunday morning Steve Gross and I met my parents out at Christmas Mountains
Oasis. 1-2 Least Flycatchers were found, as well as a well photographed
Louisiana Waterthrush.
Cottonwood Campground had Gray Hawks and Brown-crested Flycatcher.

Saturday morning my parents and I hiked up to Boot Springs. No Colima, but a HY
Painted Redstart was hanging out.

This morning my parents and I got out to Rio Grande Village before sun up. Elf
Owls and Western Screech-Owl were calling. Carolina Wren was found near the
board walk. Least Flycatcher and Western Tanager were over near the Gambusia
Pond. 2 Common Black-Hawk juveniles and 1 adult Gray Hawk. Another
Brown-crested Flycatcher. My father claims he saw 3 juvenile/female and 1 male
Phainopepla fly high over the river near Daniel's Ranch.

Now we are in Laredo birding our way south.

Cameron Carver
Lubbock, TX

Sent from my iPhoneEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at