[texbirds] Swallow-tailed Kite Feeding - 8/5/2012

  • From: Joe and Renee Fischer <fischer13@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 13:23:51 -0700 (PDT)

This morning I headed out for my two targets (Upland Sandpiper and
Swallow-tailed Kites).  I started out at Sheldon Reservoir seeing what was
moving around and then went to the north side of the state park property where
they have the grass farm.  I kept watching and finally gave up waiting for an
Uppie to show up.  Yesterday morning I was out at Paul Rushing Park early
before we had to pick up my daughter from her weeklong camp.  No luck there,
but they must have shown up shortly after I left as I can see from eBird
reports.  Beginning to think this one is not in the cards this year in Texas
for me and just a few weeks ago I had many in Montana including chicks walking
just 10-20 feet from the car.  As I headed towards Dayton for the Kites, I
noticed a Turf Farm just south of US90 at Crosby and did a u-turn to check it
out and was rewarded with a few Uppies out towards the SE Corner of the turf
farm.

On to the Kites, I immediately found a kite perched right near the highway
between Dayton and Liberty.  I got out of the car to take a few pics and the
Kite starts squawking away and I'm thinking that I am too close and then
immediately one of the parents swoops in to give junior some brunch.  I stayed
at the same spot and watched this feeding sequence over and over from both
parents for about 35 minutes....I had 14 different feedings during this period.
 Everytime a parent approached, junior would make much noise in anticipation of
a feeding.  This was fantastic to watch and photograph.  In all, I had 9 ST
kites in the air at the same time this morning.  Several anhingas flying high
above as well as a single Mississippi kite, Sharp-shinned, and two Red-tailed
Hawks along this stretch of highway.

Some pics of the ST Kites:

http://www.pbase.com/joe_e_fischer/new

Good birding!!!