[texbirds] Superb Owl Sunday birding - Post Road/Park, etc

  • From: Heidi Trudell <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 20:04:25 -0600

After work I tried to follow up on a report of 2 Pied-billed Grebes
that Bill Sain saw at Post Park from earlier in the morning - and with
my luck, missed them both! So my Superb Owl Sunday plan of finding
owls fell through as well, but I did leave Post Park and Post Road a
few species higher for my patch list and these highlights:
Gadwall (2) at the almost-dry-but-not-quite creek crossing
Prairie Falcon (1) perched along the road

...the usual suspects were around, notably ~30 Brewer's Sparrows along
the road, while many have already moved on (or never did fill in for
the winter).

Otherwise, my blinders have been on and there's not too much to add.

I may at some point do a full write-up of what to do if you ever find
a dead eagle, as TPWD isn't always aware of the protocol when
notified, but I will say this much for now: don't touch it. Don't
touch it. Don't even think of touching it. Call TPWD for backup, and
do not touch it. If it's roadkill, they probably will not need to do
an investigation, but if cause of death is not easily apparently,
there will probably be an investigation.

And if your game warden ever calls you and asks what to do with a dead
eagle, point them to the regional USFWS office!

Happy trails,
-h

Heidi Trudell
Marathon, TX

--

Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary
necessities. - Mark Twain