[texbirds] South Padre Island, 3/20/14

  • From: antshrike1@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 23:19:19 -0400 (EDT)

I checked out South Padre Island today to see if the cool front had grounded
anything.  It's still early in the season so I saw early spring stuff:
Scissor-tailed and Vermillion Flycatchers, Gray Catbirds, Northern Parulas,
Louisiana Waterthrush, Black-and-white and Yellow-throated Warblers, and two
Indigo Buntings.  Driving the beach to the Port Mansfield Channel I saw over a
hundred Least Terns and over a Thousand Royal Terns. Hundreds of Brown Pelicans
streamed north.  The only uncommon bird was a Common Tern.  And I finally saw
my first Northern Gannet for the year.  Photos are on my blog.

http://antshrike.blogspot.com/2014/03/south-padre-island-32014.html

Dan Jones, Weslaco