[texbirds] Re: So, do some Egrets stain their feathers? - Example of 'painted...

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 22:32:42 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry, but I am positive that this stain came from natural source; plus as
I mentioned I have more similar examples of Great Egrets (and other
egrets/birds) just not as extreme.

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas

In a message dated 8/14/2012 9:25:37 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx writes:

People  with paint ball guns sometimes like to paint birds...It fades
washes out with  time...Some think this is innocent fun but a paint ball can
actually kill or  maim a bird if close to the shooter...This looks a possible
example...I have  seen florescent colored Laughing Gulls... the color is water
based and will  wash/fade out.

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 9:09 PM, <_MBB22222@xxxxxxxx
(mailto:MBB22222@xxxxxxx) > wrote:

Hi  all,
Discussion  about color source of Cattle Egret buff colored plumes in
breeding plumage  is nothing new. I personally caught the bug and I am trying
collect the  evidence for a quite few years now. Although I have little
doubts left, if  any, that indeed the Cattle Egrets are ‘painting’ themselves
there are still  a quite few more questions left not clearly answered and I
want to collect  more data before being convinced  that I can speculate
about the process of staining. During my ‘hunt’ I also collected images of
other egrets (also other birds) that can stain (more or less, usually less)
their plumages in similar way. Perhaps the most dramatic example is one  Great
Egret (have some more Great Egret examples but none even close to this
one). My question is – anybody else has ever seen Great Egret stained in
similar way?
_http://www.pbase.com/image/145394517_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/145394517)
All the  best,
Mark B  Bartosik
Houston,  Texas
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field)

--
Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field  Biologist