[texbirds] Sightings at the EWBC

  • From: "Monica Barrera" <mbarrera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 18:45:29 +0000

Hello All!

Cloudy day, but our ponds are still pretty active, including our Dragonfly
Pond, which seems to be the main attraction for the Great and Snowy Egrets,
Little Blue Heron, and even the Great Blue Heron which has been stopping by on
occasion (an entertaining sight given how large they are!). The Green
Kingfisher is having some serious competition! A painted Bunting has been
sighted on the grounds, as well as the Black-and-White Warbler, Wilson's
Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Orange-crowned Warbler, Long- and Curve-billed
Thrashers, Northern Cardinals, Northern Mockingbirds and Great Kiskadees. Our
winter waterfowl visitors are still around, including the Blue-winged Teal,
Green-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler, Canvasback, Lesser Scaup, Black-bellied
Whistling Ducks, and Fulvous Whistling Ducks.

And, speaking about all these wonderful birds, the Edinburg World Birding
Center will be having a Bird-a-Thon competition throughout the month of April,
in which participants may team up in teams of 2-5 people and compete to get the
most bird sightings throughout Edinburg boundaries! If you're interested in
more information about this, feel free to give me a call at 956-381-9922 or
send me an email!

Have a great afternoon!

Monica Barrera
Interpretive Naturalist

Edinburg Scenic Wetlands & World Birding Center
P.O. Box 1079
Edinburg, Texas 78540
956.381.9922 O 956.381.0715 F
mbarrera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx