[texbirds] Sightings at the EWBC

  • From: "Monica Barrera" <mbarrera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 20:19:21 +0000

 Hello all!

It has been a pretty good last couple of days here at the EWBC! We got a pretty
good amount of birds after last weeks cold front. There was so much activity, I
didn't know where to look first! I was wishing I somehow had the ability to
look everywhere all at once! Species such as Blue Grosbeak, Rose-breasted
Grosbeak, Scarlet and Summer Tanagers, Indigo and Painted Buntings, Lincoln's
and Clay-colored Sparrows, and others were spotted on the grounds! We even had
about 160, perhaps more, Fulvous Whistling Ducks at our North Pond! It has been
incredibly fun being able to see all these birds, I hope they are able to
finish their journey safely, especially all those species that had to make a
desperate stop at SPI.

Here's a full list of what I saw last Thursday. Many of these species have
still been spotted yesterday and today:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck 3
Fulvous Whistling-Duck 160
Mottled Duck 2
Blue-winged Teal 10
Cinnamon Teal 1
Northern Shoveler 10
Lesser Scaup 4
Plain Chachalaca 4
Least Grebe 1
Neotropic Cormorant 6
Great Blue Heron 1
Great Egret 5
Snowy Egret 2
Little Blue Heron 1
Green Heron 1
Swainson's Hawk 1
Common Gallinule 2
American Coot 20
Black-necked Stilt 2
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Least Sandpiper 4
Laughing Gull 2
Least Tern 1
Gull-billed Tern 2
Rock Pigeon 1
White-winged Dove 1
Mourning Dove 1
Inca Dove 2
Chimney Swift 2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 2
Buff-bellied Hummingbird 5
Golden-fronted Woodpecker 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 1
Empidonax sp. 1
Great Kiskadee 7
Tropical Kingbird 1
Couch's Kingbird 2
White-eyed Vireo 2
Purple Martin 2
Barn Swallow 1
Cave Swallow 25
Gray Catbird 2
Northern Mockingbird 2
Long-billed Thrasher 3
Curve-billed Thrasher 1
Worm-eating Warbler 1
Tennessee Warbler 2
Common Yellowthroat 1
American Redstart 1
Lincoln's Sparrow 1
Summer Tanager 2
Scarlet Tanager 1
Northern Cardinal 5
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1
Blue Grosbeak 1
Indigo Bunting 2
Painted Bunting 4
Red-winged Blackbird 15
Great-tailed Grackle 3
Baltimore Oriole 5
Lesser Goldfinch 2
House Sparrow 1

Happy birding to all!

Monica Barrera
Interpretive Naturalist

Edinburg Scenic Wetlands & World Birding Center
P.O. Box 1079
Edinburg, Texas 78540
956.381.9922 O 956.381.0715 F
mbarrera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx