[texbirds] Sheldon Park

  • From: "Ray Porter" <ray.porter314@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 18:08:08 -0500

I found what I believe is the 5th Purple Gallinule family at
Sheldon/Carpenter's Bayou. According to Birds of UTC, these guys should be
leaving very soon, but this family had 3 very young chicks. My guess is no
older than 14 days and probably a little younger than that (perhaps between
5 and 11 days old). No doubt these guys will not be leaving Sheldon before
October. Cute, watching the youngest trying to keep up with the oldest as it
walked across the lily pads.

Ray Porter
Highlands, Tx