[texbirds] Re: Drought conditions in Houston and Texas

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 17:41:45 -0500

And another point noted in the papers.
The Brazos River is totally dry in Brazoria and the counties just to the
west. The only water in the river is treated sewage and discharge from
reservoirs that are going dry. All rice and other irrigation water is
cancelled and all communities have to asked to conserve with several
refusing to inconvenience anyone.

The Colorado River has been in that state for a long time.

A couple of years ago, the whooping cranes had major food problems due to
low river flows and the flows are much lower now. Soil and groundwater
levels are similar to 1951 or 1952 which were much worse than the dust bowl
in this part of the state. In other words it is the worst dry spell ever or
tied for the worst ever if that makes any difference.

And areas west of here out toward the hill country are much worse as are
some areas in south texas.