[texbirds] Seabirds and beasts; big feeding frenzy on Sargassum fish part 1

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 23:40:37 -0400 (EDT)

Many of us who were visiting shore during this spring and summer often
found huge piles of Sargassum weed along the shore (in record quantities this
year). On days with right wind masses of fresh Sargassum kept drifting
toward  the shore together with many sea critters whose live depends on  this
seaweed. One of them, Sargassumfish, was brought in large numbers and some
seabirds went literally crazy trying to get as many of them as they only could
 catch.  As I took many photos they had to wait for processing. In this
part  I want to show Royal Tern - some of his actions were spectacular:

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/146030388_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/146030388)

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/146030390_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/146030390)

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/146030396_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/146030396)

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/146030385_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/146030385)

Plunges into the waves looked incredible but I was too close … or too far;
showing the close action

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/146030361_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/146030361)

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/146030362_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/146030362)

And many more already processed photos are here:

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/royal_tern_feeding_on_sargassum_fish_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/royal_tern_feeding_on_sargassum_fish)

I am working on the second set that is showing other seabirds taking  part
of this feeding frenzy. There I will also show that seas wasn’t so calm as
it might look in photos uploaded today.

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field_