[texbirds] San Antonio Audubon Society's phone message november 20

  • From: "Georgina Schwartz" <gbird@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Alan Kuentz" <apkuentz@xxxxxxx>, "Chris Bailey" <chris_bailey64@xxxxxxxxx>, "Dahn Windhorn" <naturenut7@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Gail Nickel" <gnickel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jerry Coleman" <Jbccoleman@xxxxxxx>, "Mariann Golden" <marianng9350@xxxxxxxx>, "SATXbirds" <SATXbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:13:01 -0600

SAAS Phone Message November 20, 2012

Telephone number: 210-308-6788

Georgina Schwartz recording.

Hello, this is the San Antonio Audubon Society with our

November 20 recording of recent bird sightings and an update

on coming activities.

If you just want to leave a message or report a bird sighting, you

 may do so at any time by pressing 5 on your Touch-Tone Phone

 and recording after the beep. Just be sure to add your name and

 repeat your phone number please.

We do not rescue baby or crippled birds. Call Wildlife Rescue and

Rehabilitation at 830-336-2725 for assistance. For Owls or Hawks

call Last Chance Forever at 210-499-4080. In most cases the parents

 will be back.

You may also access our website at www.saaudubon.org for more

 Information about the club, a membership form, directions to the

birding places,  a complete  list of the birds of Bexar County, our

recent newsletters, and some photos of interest.

There are some interesting birds being seen at the Mitchell Lake

Audubon Center. As of Sunday, the 18th there were 3 different

species of Scoter being seen on the lake.. Call 210-628-1639

for access other than the regular weekends at 8 to 4.

And thank you for reporting your birds to this tape so others

can find them.

The San Antonio Audubon Society has been a birding, education,

and conservation club since 1954. We meet on the first Thursday of

each month at 7 PM at the First Tee building at 915 E Mulberry at the

south end of Brackenridge park. Our December program will be members'

and we will have finger foods. We will also have a sale of selected

books from our book sale.

Looking ahead, reservations are now open for our Whooping Crane trip

on the Skimmer out of Rockport/Fulton on Sunday, January 27.

The Cost is $45 and must be reserved with your check. You must be

at the dock by 12:15 for our 1PM trip. Contact Helen Rejzek at
210-833-8360.

The next Beginner's bird walk starts at the Judson Nature Trails

 near the Alamo Heights swimming pool on Viesca Street on

Saturday, December 8. Meet leader Georgina Schwartz at

 8:00 AM. . Directions: at the  5900 block on Broadway, turn

west on Ogden Street and go to the stop sign at Greely St.

Turn left one block and then right  on Viesca and go to the

 parking lot on the left before the swimming pool.

We have some binoculars to lend out, so bring a friend.

Georgina's number is 342-2073.

On Sunday, December 9, we are meeting leader Chris Bailey at

7:45 at the first boat ramp inside of the Calaveras lake park.

We will have access to the natural area in the north end of the park.

To get there go south on US 181 towards Floresville, but exit to

1604 northbound to Stuart Rd. Take a left to the park entrance on

the left. Be prompt as we will be going behind a locked gate.

Bring lunch and water. Time permitting, we will go also to Braunig

lake with the same $5 fee. Chris' number is 210-621-3025

On Thursday , December 13, we are meeting leader Sandi Wheeler

 at the Crescent Bend Nature Park at 8 AM. From San Antonio

take I-10 east to FM 1518, exit and go north to Schafer Rd and

the brown sign to.the park. Turn right and go 3 miles to the park

on the left  just before the Cibolo Creek crossing. Bring snacks

and water. Sandi's number is 210-632-2812

There will be bird walks at Mitchell Lake Audubon Center

Beginning  at 8  AM on the 1st Sunday, 2nd Sunday, 3rd Sunday,

and the 2nd Tuesday, and the 4th Saturday. .  The Mitchell Lake

Audubon Center is open each Saturday and Sunday from 8 to 4.

A small fee is charged since this place is now an Audubon Center.

 Just ring the buzzer and they will open the gate. Other hours are

available by appointment.  Just call the Center at  210-628-1639.

The gate is on the left 0.7 mile south of loop 410 Moursund Blvd,

exit #46.  The center will be closed on holidays, so be sure to

to check before you go out during Christmas week.

Our Christmas Bird Count is scheduled for Sunday, December 16.

All teams will meet in their assigned areas. Contact Sheridan Coffey

 at 817-798-3989. All are welcome at the countdown dinner at

Furr's Fresh Buffet, 7863 South I-35 just south of Zarzamora

exit beginning at 5:30 PM.

.There is a bird walk on the third Saturday of each month at 9 AM

at the San Antonio Botanical Garden. This is not a SAAS trip, but

is usually very interesting. There is a fee for entrance to the
garden.

Every one is welcome at our activities and you don't have to be a
membe

r to participate. If you would like more information or membership in
our

group, just leave your name and phone number after the beep and

someone will return your call.

Happy Birding!