[texbirds] TOS Meeting Details

  • From: sgross77@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 20:20:51 +0000 (UTC)

I hope to see you all in Houston for the January, 2013 meeting of the Texas
Ornithological Society. Details can be found in your member newsletter or at
our website, texasbirds .org .

There are a few details to share with those of you who will attend the meeting.

Item #1: Several of the field trips are slated to have access to properties
owned or maintained by the Katy Prairie Conservancy. Those trips will or may
include the following: Katy Prairie Sampler (both days), the Limited Mobility
Trip (both days), and possibly the Sparrow Workshops (both days). A release of
liability form must be signed and completed in order for participants to gain
access to these properties.

The good news is that if you've signed up for these trips, you can download and
print your release form far in advance of the meeting dates. The forms, plus a
Katy Prairie Bird Checklist, can be found at: http :// www . katyprairie
.org/events. html and http :// www . katyprairie .org/Birding. html

The website for the Katy Prairie Conservancy, a group well worth your support,
is www . katyprairie .org

Item #2: As an extension of our Houston meeting, we will sponsor a Chambers
County Bird Blitz for January 20, 2013. If you're staying the weekend in the
area and want to explore the possibilities of Chambers County with
knowledgeable area birders, please consider joining this effort. A group rate
has been secured at a Winnie-area hotel for the night of the 20th, and Chambers
County is great any day of the year. This event is co-sponsored by the Texas
A&M AgriLife Extension Nature Tourism Program, which seeks to promote
ecotourism in Chambers County . More details to come on this exciting event.

Item #3: In the newsletter, I mentioned that there would be several afternoon
workshops about bird-related topics. The final schedule has not been set for
these free workshops, but some of the topics will include eBird , bird
photography, International Trip Planning without a tour group, US Trip Planning
without a tour group, Century Club Tactics, and Confusing ID's on the Katy
Prairie. I hope you'll free up some time for these informative sessions.

Now, for the goodies. Great birds, such as Ferruginous Hawk, Ladder-backed
Woodpecker, and Greater Pewee have been seen at our field trip locations in the
last few days. If hanging out with your fellow Tossers isn't incentive enough,
these avian goodies should help you decide how to spend the weekend of January
17-20.

This should be a great meeting. I look forward to seeing many of you in
January.

Steve Gross

TOS President