[texbirds] Sabal Palm and Boca Chica Beach

  • From: dbenn65010@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 22:13:50 -0500 (EST)

A very gusty morning at Sabal Palm today (Saturday).  A couple of Olive
Sparrows did a little singing and several White-tipped Doves were calling in
the vicinity of the feeding station at the old visitor center.  A
Yellow-throated Warbler seemed to enjoy the suet right in front of the
streaming video camera and I was surprised by three Catbirds and two Ovenbirds
also at the feeders along with the usual assortment of Green Jays, White-tipped
Doves, Black-crested Titmouse, Olive Sparrow and Golden-fronted Woodpeckers.
An unseen Green Kingfisher was calling at the resaca  blind where Least Grebes
were feeding very near the blind.  Five or six species of the usual ducks were
keeping to the far end of the resaca.  A second Green Kingfisher was at the
west end of the resaca where the trail turns away from the water.  Considering
the wind, it was a decent bird day.
While we did not see the Rose-throated Becard today, it was reported from the
area around the visitor center yesterday.
Sadly, the Great-horned Owl sitting a nest at the corner of the visitor center
has abandoned her nest.
After Sabal Palm I drove Boca Chica Beach with George, Mary Jean, Mary Jane and
Paula.  There were very few birds on the beach and those were mostly the three
usual gulls.  We missed the Little Gull and the Glaucous Gull (which has been
pretty easy to see on the beach since at least December 27th.  There were about
25 or so Bonaparte's Gulls on the water, spread out from just outside the mouth
of the river to about 1/4 mile upstream along with the usual gull and tern
congregations on the south side of the river.  On the opposite end of the beach
we ran behind the jetties past the south cove and along the ship channel
without seeing much.
Of interest on the drive there and back we saw only two Caracaras, a single
White-tailed Hawk, one Red-tail Hawk and two Harris' Hawks.  The Harris' were
barely off the ground, perched out of the wind.
David Benn
Brownsville

Sadly, the Great-horned Owl sitting a nest at the corner of the visitor center
has abandoned her neat.