[texbirds] Sabal Palm

  • From: dbenn65010@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 10:34:05 -0500 (EST)

The Saturday nature walk at Sabal Palm turned up the usual delta specialties
including a nice pair of Hooded Orioles at the old parking lot and again later
at the feeding station at the old visitor's center where the Clay-colored
Thrushes continue to join the crowd for a bite as well.
The Green Heron that took up station near the resaca blind a few weeks ago was
at one of it's usual spots and we had a brief look at a fly-over hawk that I
think was the young Gray Hawk that has been putting in so much time around the
wetland bridge area.  The White-tipped Doves are starting to do a lot of
singing, and the Olive Sparrows and Long-billed Thrashers are tuning up, too.
We heard 5 or 6 White-eyed Vireos singing.  The way they were distributed we
were rarely out of hearing of one.  By the way, last Wednesday we had a brief
visit by a Ringed Kingfisher.  It came in calling like they do from the
direction of the river, circled the resaca once and left the way it came in.
Last week I got my 9th yard bird of prey when I was surprised by a Gray Hawk
making it's determined way right over the backyard.  And this is an urban yard,
well in town.
David Benn
Brownsville