[texbirds] Birder Patrol trip to Brownsville Dump

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 13:50:24 -0500 (EST)

Hi, all!

Well, we managed to find five of the reported 20-plus Lesser Black-backed
Gulls at the dump (including two beautiful adults), thanks in part to Todd
McGrath's sharp eyes!  Also, thanks to a very nice employee named Robert,
we were led to several areas that had gobs of gulls that were out of the way
of  the machinery!  (I think we had at least six car-loads of people in
there...)  Actually, the main spot he led us to was the "old hangout" up  the
hill on the north side, where you could also look down on the wetlands, but
this time the garbage fence (and hence the birds) was flush with the parking
 area as opposed to across a huge chasm, as it was the last time I was
there!  Aside from gulls, the wetlands had a nice selection of ducks and
shorebirds, and every telephone pole was occupied by either a young
White-tailed
Hawk or a Turkey Vulture!  And several people commented that even the smell
 wasn't all that bad!

There was some discussion about whether to try for the SPI Thayer's Gull,
but in the end we went to Boca Chica Beach, which was dicey to say the
least:  one of our cars (a little green VW) got lodged on a submerged log,  but
thanks to the valiant efforts of several "diggers" (the younger ones...
;-)), the group finally freed the car!  One car full (a jeep) decided to go
all the way to the mouth, but there wasn't much beach to drive on at that
point  (and it was obvious that we were the only ones crazy enough to drive it
period),  and all we added for the days were some sea-shorebirds and graceful
strings of  pelicans.

Joyce and I had to head back, but I think the rest of the group continued
on to Sabal Palm for the becard; don't know if they were successful...
Mainly people pictures this time, viewed here:

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2014%20Field%20Trips/February/Browns
ville%20Dump.html

or here:

http://tinyurl.com/qb32qv9

Bird List:

  Mottled  Duck                           Anas fulvigula
Blue-winged  Teal                       Anas discors
Northern  Shoveler                      Anas clypeata
Green-winged  Teal                      Anas crecca
Brown  Pelican                          Pelecanus occidentalis
Great Blue  Heron                       Ardea herodias
Great  Egret                            Ardea alba
Cattle  Egret                           Bubulcus ibis
Black  Vulture                          Coragyps atratus
Turkey  Vulture                         Cathartes aura
Harris's  Hawk                          Parabuteo unicinctus
White-tailed  Hawk                      Geranoaetus albicaudatus
Black-necked  Stilt                     Himantopus mexicanus
American  Avocet                        Recurvirostra americana
Black-bellied  Plover                   Pluvialis squatarola
Killdeer                               Charadrius vociferus
Willet                                 Tringa semipalmata
Long-billed  Curlew                     Numenius americanus
Ruddy  Turnstone                        Arenaria interpres
Stilt  Sandpiper                        Calidris himantopus
Sanderling                             Calidris alba
Least  Sandpiper                        Calidris minutilla
Long-billed  Dowitcher                  Limnodromus scolopaceus
Laughing  Gull                          Leucophaeus atricilla
Ring-billed  Gull                       Larus delawarensis
Herring  Gull                           Larus argentatus
Lesser Black-backed  Gull               Larus fuscus
Royal  Tern                             Thalasseus maximus
Eurasian  Collared-Dove                 Streptopelia decaocto
Common  Pauraque                        Nyctidromus albicollis
Crested  Caracara                       Caracara cheriway
American  Kestrel                       Falco sparverius
Great  Kiskadee                         Pitangus sulphuratus
Loggerhead  Shrike                      Lanius ludovicianus
Chihuahuan  Raven                       Corvus cryptoleucus
Horned  Lark                            Eremophila alpestris
Verdin                                 Auriparus flaviceps
European  Starling                      Sturnus vulgaris
Red-winged  Blackbird                   Agelaius phoeniceus
Great-tailed  Grackle                   Quiscalus mexicanus
40 SPECIES

Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX
_www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com/)