[texbirds] Rough-legged Hawk and Glaucous Gll 2/19/13

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, aaodonel@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 20:33:23 -0500 (EST)

After Jan and I finished working at The Texas City Prarie Preserve at 11:30
 we decided to go back for the Rough-legged Hawk and then swing back by
Texas  City for the Glaucous Gull. We got to the West end of Galveston about
1:30 or so  and ran into some other Hawk hunters who had seen the bird about
an hour  earlier. About 45 minutes later it showed back up hovering out over
the field.  It eventually flew over and sat on a telephone pole on the gulf
side of 3005. We  drove down from the water tower closer to it and had just
snapped one picture  when it suddenly flew. I looked up to find a car had
driven up and stopped right  below it. I really think they were just trying to
see what we were all looking  at. We saw it again maybe 20-30 minutes later
but never close again.

We then drove to the Texas City Dike and worked our way slowly down the
road and then the beach area with no luck. Turned around and re-drove the
beach  and worked our way back toward the base of the Dike. We stopped to check
the  cluster of gulls close to the base of the Dike by the first boat ramp
and  cleaning table. There it sat on a dock pole. Boy does it stand out when
you see  it. I do not think the bird was there when we first went by. It was
about 5:20  when we saw it there. It eventually flew off and landed on the
rocks about  100-120 yds towards the end of the Dike.

Also present was the large flock of Eared Grebes with one Bonapartes Gull
chasing them and of course lots of Laughing, Ring-billed and Herring  Gulls.

Pictures when I get the downloaded.

David and Jan  Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
Chambers  Co.