[texbirds] Re: Richland Creek WMA

  • From: "Bert Frenz" <bertf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tadcipiter@xxxxxxxxx>, <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "D.D. Currie" <ddbirder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 09:02:44 -0400

Tad, D.D.,
I am not surprised that the Ruddy Turnstone was a first county record for
D.D., even though she has often birded Freestone County.
In fact, the Ruddy Turnstone is a first county record - period.  I have a
pretty complete database for the county and I just checked eBird to see if I
have missed anything.  Surprisingly, though, I see a recent submission to
eBird for adjacent Navarro County which reports a RUTU in that county 24
August.
Freestone County is a the northern edge of the Central Brazos Valley and
RUTU rarely visits this inland region.  There are only 9 records for the
region, the earliest in 1965.
Bert
Bert Frenz
Bert2@xxxxxxxxxxx
author, A Birder's Guide to Belize, 2013
Birds of the Oaks & Prairies of Texas
www.bafrenz.com