[texbirds] Red-throated Loon continues at Stillhouse Hollow Lake, Bell Co. 3/1/14

  • From: Rich Kostecke <rkost73@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 15:16:11 -0800 (PST)

It has been a long while since the last report, but Veena Mohan and I decided
to check out Union Grove Wildlife Management Area at Stillhouse Hollow Lake in
Bell County today to see if the Red-throated Loon was still present.  Success!
We had good scope views of the loon (still in nonbreeding plumage) out from
where the old road bed enters the lake, though the wind made it challenging.
Lots of the expected suspects on the lake - Double-crested Cormorants,
Ring-billed Gulls, 2 Osprey, lot of American Coots, a smattering of several
duck species, and Pied-billed Grebes.  The only other birds of particular note
were 3 Horned Grebes mixed in with all the the other birds.
Rich

Richard Kostecke, Ph.D.
The Nature Conservancy
318 Congress Ave., Austin, Texas 78701