[texbirds] Red-necked Phalarope (juvenile) at Junction Wastewater Ponds

  • From: "Rhandy Helton" <rjhelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 13:50:25 -0500

I found a juvenile Red-necked Phalarope at the Junction Wastewater Facility
today at 11:30 a.m. At first the bird was in the furtherest back pond from the
entrance---this is the sludge covered pond. The bird was skittish and then flew
to the front pond by the entrance and was swimming around in the open water.
The bird was still present at 1:00 p.m. I took numerous photographs for
confirmation but would like to send some for verification and for posting on
texbirds. Other species present included:
Lesser Yellowlegs
Least Sandpiper
Western Sandpiper
Solitary Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Baird's Sandpiper
Norhern Harrier (trying to scare everything away)

Rhandy J. Helton
Junction, Tx.