[texbirds] Ray Roberts Lake State Park - Johnson Branch

  • From: Cameron Carver <c.o.carver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 17:55:55 -0600

Greetings,
I checked out Ray Roberts Lake State Park - Johnson Branch this afternoon
looking for the recently reported Tundra Swans and White-winged Scoter. I
did not locate either of those species, but managed a couple of good birds.

A Common Loon was close and called a couple of times. I noticed a loon
preening about 300 meters out. I eventually got a good look at it and it
was a Pacific Loon. There were at least three more Common Loons on the
lake, too.

As I was scanning the lake, I heard a Hairy Woodpecker. I eventually
flushed the bird from a nearby willow. This species is fairly common north
along nearly the entirety of the Red River and tributaries. It also seems
to be findable around the Elm Fork, too. Basically, this species isn't
really that uncommon in the area in suitable habitat.

Cameron Carver
All over the place, TX