[texbirds] Raptors and more @ Edinburg Scenic Wetlands, Hidalgo Co.

  • From: Javier Gonzalez <javsterkayak7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 17:02:05 -0600

Hello Texbirders,
The last couple of weeks and especially the last couple of days have been
good for Raptors here at the Edinburg Scenic Wetlands, Hidalgo County. Some
other reported rarity birds are still hanging around as well.

Yesterday (1/30) evening, as I was walking up to the interpretative center
to clock out for the day, I saw a *Merlin* dart across the sky over the
Municipal Park parking lot.

This morning on the bird walk we flushed a *Cooper's Hawk* from the trees
around the Dragonfly Pond, a* Broad-winged Hawk* was seen briefly as it
flew overhead, a *Red-tailed Hawk *soared over the North Pond with some *Turkey
Vultures*, an *Osprey* was enjoying a fish breakfast from on top of one of
the baseball field lights just east of the North Pond, and soon after the
bird walk ended a *Crested Caracara* flew over the field west of the park.

A *Peregrine Falcon* has also been seen occasionally in the area. I saw it
perched on the baseball field lights east of the North Pond not too long
ago.

Some other birds of note:

The *Winter Wren* continues in the Forest Trail with frequent reports.

A *Black-throated Gray* warbler discovered in December was re-found on the
bird walk this morning around the Dragonfly Pond.

A *Brown Thrasher* is still in the park, but has been a bit more difficult
to find lately. It was briefly seen this past Tuesday (1/27) by the
Discovery pond (small fish pond on the west side of the Interpretative
Center).

*Bird Walks:* Happening every Tuesday morning starting from the North Pond
overlook at 8:30am! See ya here!

Great birding to all,
Javi Gonzalez
Naturalist Educator