[texbirds] Re: RFI regarding ornithology lectures

  • From: David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tkeitt@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 15:11:37 -0500

Tim,

This is absolutely not true, there is no such thing as "fair use",
that's why you see it in quotes like that. I've been told this by two
different intellectual property lawyers, and I can tell you that the
copy shop here at UH goes to a lot of trouble to verify professors
have all the authorizations for teaching packets.

That doesn't mean there are not online images you can use for these
things though, I've found the Creative Commons is an excellent source
of photos for programs, and they provide a handy tool for searching
for these works, http://search.creativecommons.org/ All the photos you
see in Wikipedia are licensed under the creative commons. The tool
lets you search different sources for photos (and audio)

Many photographers are sharing their photos from places like Flickr
and Google under the creative commons license. There are several
levels of license, some are any use, some are non commercial only,
some require attribution, other not, you just have to look. The search
tool above makes it pretty easy to know you're using a photo and not
violating a copyrighted use.

Nothing creative is actually available for your use unless the owner
explicitly says so or its copyright has expired. That's what
photographers who publish under the creative commons license have
done. Sticking with the creative commons ensures you won't make a
mistake on that front.

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Tim Keitt <tkeitt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Tony,
> I rely heavily on google images for my Biology of Birds class at UT.
> Teaching is considered "fair use" of copyrighted material. It is pretty
> astounding the amount of imagery online these days.
>
> Tim Keitt
> Austin Texas
>

> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 10:16 AM, Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> Greetings All:
>> I am scheduled to give a lecture on ornithology to a Master Naturalist
>> group on 5 April and am encountering difficulties in building a PowerPoint
>> presentation.  Does anybody out there know of a good, on-line source for
>> free, downloadable images to use in such a lecture?  I intend to to one
>> lecture on general ornithology (morphology, behavior, etc ...) and one on
>> citizen science as it applies to ornithological research (BBS, CBC, GBBC,
>> e-bird, etc ...) and hope to get a few more Texas birders out of this.
>>
>> Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock
>>
>> Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
>> //www.freelists.org/list/texbirds
>>
>> Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking permission
>> from the List Owner
>>

> --
> http://www.keittlab.org/

David Sarkozi