[texbirds] Re: RFI piney woods stuff

  • From: Carolyn Dill <carolyn_dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bryanrcalk@xxxxxxxxx" <bryanrcalk@xxxxxxxxx>, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 22:44:11 +0000 (UTC)

I'd like to know the same thing. I think the reason we don't know is that the
birds don't exist here, reliably or otherwise. The last time Bachman's was
detected at WG Jones SF was over two decades ago. I was with a team that was
trying to relocate them when none had been seen in five years and we were
unsuccessful. Bachman's doesn't wander far, so it is unlikely in their long
absence that they hopped back over here. I do dream of it, though, and yet I
rarely go look for them.  You can call the rangers at WG Jones for their
stance on this matter. Boykin Springs is most reliable place I had known for
Bachman's.
The best places for Prairie Warbler is out at Tyler SP and Big Thicket area.
Like you, I don't like the gamble of driving so far and missing the bird
because I don't know precisely where to look. I've been told to find
scrub/willows/oak about 4 to 6 feet tall near forest pond/swamp areas or old
clearcut/recovered burn areas for the favored nesting sites and listen for
their song. They move to new areas as the trees get too tall. They don't like
old growth areas with thick canopy cover. Why not map out what eBirds has said
they have occurred last year and check out those areas.
Carolyn DillHouston

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 2:58 PM, Bryan Calk <bryanrcalk@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

RFI piney woods specialties:

I was planning on running out to WG Jones SF Saturday for Red-cockaded WP and
BH nuthatch. Is this still a good idea with trail closures for nesting birds? I
am also hoping to find Bachman's Sparrow; is there a good place close to Jones
that is "easy" for them? Somewhere in Sam Houston NF? And for Prairie
Warbler... I know they are much further east, but does anyone know the most
reliable, closest spot from the Conroe area?

-Bryan Calk
College Station/Fort Clark