[texbirds] RFI - American Bittern calling in winter

  • From: Mary Gustafson <live4birds@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 23:21:51 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

I've received a recording from south Texas of an American Bittern
thunder-pumping.  The tape is from a few days ago.  I was quite surprised to
hear the bitterns distinctive call - admittedly very much in the background of
the recording.

My question is whether other observers have heard American Bittern doing their
territorial call in winter.  The same observer heard an American Bittern doing
the same call in February at the same location.  A check of the Birds of North
America account includes no information of winter territorial calls, just the
usual flight notes.

American Bittern are not rare in the LRGV in winter, though they can be hard to
see.

Mary

Mary Gustafson
Mission, Texas