[texbirds] hummingbird, west Houston - ID?

  • From: Albert Shultz <aws2009@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 22:52:04 -0500

A new hummer showed up at our feeder late this afternoon; see link for photo
(poor, through window and cropped).  Its markings were clearly different from
those of the 3 other hummers we've had this winter (rufous and ruby-throat),
and I am calling it a Calliope.   The gorget is streaky purplish-red; the face
has a lot of white around the base of the bill.  However, the white forehead I
don't remember seeing before, and in the photos the tail appears
problematically longer than the wings.  Any comments?
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/bNH8E4NvFcCtZoN11MeG6NMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
--Al Shultz
Katy, TX (west Harris County)