[texbirds] RED PHALAROPE YES, Surf Scoter NO, Balmorhea L., Balmorhea, Reeves Co. 31 Oct 2012

  • From: Matthew York <mwayork@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:35:58 -0500

RED PHALAROPE pics from this morning at Balmorhea Lake.  Found initially by
Heidi Trudell, I like to think I was slightly distracted driving.  :)
http://www.bigbendnature.com/2012/10/red-rope-blam-orhea-lake-reeves-co.html
This bird was first noticed on the eastern half of the lake, as we were on
the east dam.  Easily enjoyed through bins, a scope is great.
After a lunch break in town, we re-located the bird at 1:18 PM on the
western quarter of the lake.  Also could be enjoyed through bins during
this observation

NO Surf Scoter was seen.  In fact, the raft of scaup, ruddys, and redhead
the scoter sought refuge in was gone as well.

Matt York & Heidi Trudell
Marathon
Brewster Co.

--