[texbirds] Re: Quiz time :-)

  • From: Jay Packer <jay@xxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 20:10:05 -0600

This is indeed a tricky one. You got me.
I agree that the end of the song sounds very much like a cardinal or
Pyrrhuloxia. That beginning warble is bizarre though, unlike any cardinal
I've ever heard. It is vireo like, thus the suggestion.

I can't help but think it's almost a little reminiscent of a sparrow.
Looking at that habitat, I'm tempted to suggest an Olive Sparrow as a crazy
guess, but I feel like it's not really a good match that species either.

So how about Canyon Towhee? Admittedly, I'm throwing spaghetti against the
wall and hoping something sticks. But I'm thinking this might be a better
suggestion given the song I heard. They can have the warble in the first
part of their song, and the ending notes sound reminiscent of a cardinal.
Plus, the habitat I see in that video would be a good match.

--
Jay Packer
(sent from my phone)